Sunday, February 27, 2011

Best Picture Nominee Rankings

Voters are supposed to rank the Best Picture nominees, so here are mine with a mini-review.  Beware of possible spoilers.

1. The King’s Speech – It’s one of those lovely British films filled with haughtiness, grandeur and unexpected humor.  I don’t know if I could stand to hear those guttural throat sounds again though.

2.  The Fighter – Just a really good movie.  I became suffocated by that horribly ugly, trashy family; I don’t know how anyone could survive them.  Did any of those sisters have jobs?  They all just hung around in that small house smoking, drinking and judging.

3.  Inception – Yes, it’s a little hard to understand, but it was pretty effin cool.

4.  127 Hours – I sat next to an annoying woman who showed up late, and then gasped, cringed and rocked herself every time they showed a drop of blood.  What did she think this movie was about?  It does make you think about what you would do in this situation and what kind of strength you could muster.  I know I would never ride a bike 20 miles to walk around in caves, so I think I’m safe, but still.

5.  The Social Network – I didn’t like this movie as much after the second viewing.  They are not likable people and the film manipulated a lot of the truth.  I still don’t understand why MySpace and Friendster died and Facebook took over; they all kind of suck.  I don’t care if you’re at the store or what you had for dinner - keep your tedious, daily minutia to yourself.

6.  True Grit – The abrupt ending was really haunting.  It overshadowed the rest of the movie, and I left kind of sad.  But I left in a hurry because of the loud and awful song that played over the credits.  It was ear-piercingly terrible and totally out of place.

7.  The Winter’s Bone – A very frustrating movie from a feminist’s perspective, though I have very little experience in the meth world.  I am very thankful I have never had to skin a squirrel for food.  I’ve done it for fun, but who hasn’t? 

8.  The Kids Are All Right – I liked it, but do lesbians really hop into bed with dudes so quickly?  Plus, he seemed kind of smelly.

9.  Black Swan – It’s hard to enjoy movies that trick you into thinking that things happened – of course we’re fooled, we had to watch what you showed us.  However, I was very disturbed by several parts (not the sex scene (which didn’t actually happen!?!)).  I don’t know if I liked it, but it definitely stayed on my mind.

10.  Toy Story 3 – This is quite possibly the saddest movie ever made.  I am a borderline hoarder with a Peter Pan complex, so this movie destroyed me.  And not in a funny, growing-up-is-hard-to-do way – I was completely devastated from beginning to end.  Except for the part where the toys prepared themselves to die in the incinerator - that was a little deep and unnecessary for a ‘kid’s’ movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment